Days removed from seeing his K-Cancer efforts recognized with a league-wide “Strikeout Cancer Day”, Jason Motte has been nominated as the St. Louis Cardinals representative for the 2014 Roberto Clemente Award.
“We do it to help other people,” said Motte–who is still a bit uncomfortable with the growing attention received for his efforts. “The recognition stuff, that’s cool and everything but at the end of the day, we do it to help people. We do it to help the ones on my wrist (motioning to a band of bracelets), I’ve got a bat there, I have about 70-75 bracelets in my car. All the guys that we have on board this year with the K-Cancer stuff. It’s about helping other people and that at the end of the day, is what it’s all about.”
The annual Award recognizes a Major League Baseball player who best represents the game of baseball through positive contributions on and off the field, including sportsmanship and community involvement.
Carlos Beltran was honored with the Roberto Clemente Award last season.
“Me and Carlos were talking last year and he made a point that you make time for what you want to make time for,” said Motte. “This is something that’s important to me and what Carlos does–you look at all the guys who were nominated, these guys do some really great stuff. Some pretty good ball players, but they also make a point to do what’s important to them and that’s help others.”
The 30 Club nominees of the 2014 Roberto Clemente Award presented by Chevrolet feature seven 2014 MLB All-Stars (*=MLB All-Star):
- Arizona Diamondbacks – Paul Goldschmidt*
- Atlanta Braves – Craig Kimbrel*
- Baltimore Orioles – Nick Markakis
- Boston Red Sox – Craig Breslow
- Chicago Cubs – Anthony Rizzo*
- Chicago White Sox – Paul Konerko
- Cincinnati Reds – Skip Schumaker
- Cleveland Indians – Nick Swisher
- Colorado Rockies – Michael Cuddyer
- Detroit Tigers – Justin Verlander
- Houston Astros – Jason Castro
- Kansas City Royals – Eric Hosmer
- Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim – C.J. Wilson
- Los Angeles Dodgers – Clayton Kershaw*
- Miami Marlins – Steve Cishek
- Milwaukee Brewers – Ryan Braun
- Minnesota Twins – Glen Perkins*
- New York Mets – David Wright
- New York Yankees – CC Sabathia
- Oakland Athletics – Jed Lowrie
- Philadelphia Phillies – Jimmy Rollins
- Pittsburgh Pirates – Charlie Morton
- St. Louis Cardinals – Jason Motte
- San Diego Padres – Ian Kennedy
- San Francisco Giants – Sergio Romo
- Seattle Mariners – Felix Hernandez*
- Tampa Bay Rays – Evan Longoria
- Texas Rangers – Adrian Beltre*
- Toronto Blue Jays – Todd Redmond
- Washington Nationals – Ian Desmond
Beginning tomorrow, Roberto Clemente Day, fans are encouraged to participate in the process of selecting the national Roberto Clemente Award presented by Chevrolet recipient by visiting ChevyBaseball.com, which is powered by MLB Advanced Media, to vote for one of the 30 Club nominees. Voting ends on Sunday, October 6th and participating fans will be automatically registered for a chance to win a trip to the 2014 World Series, where the national winner of the Roberto Clemente Award presented by Chevrolet will be announced.
The winner of the fan vote will receive one vote among those cast by the selection panel of baseball dignitaries to determine the award.